Tuesday, September 27, 2005

E: Melbourne return!

It’s official; I will undertake next semester as an exchange student at University of Melbourne! The most pleasant news was received in letter form today, which I received and opened right before noon. I took my time, and had to kneel down on the floor – that’s how tense I was. It was with great excitement I revealed the words saying I had a place in Australia.

With precious few exceptions, I have kept dead silent about the application process for anyone Down Under up till today. I did not want to create any anticipation (or fear) in anyone for no reason – I didn’t know if I was going to get the position or not.

At prompt, I desired to study in Mexico to improve my Spanish. As my Spanish is not good enough for a master level, I requested institutions throughout Latin America that teach master level subjects for media studies in English. I came up with none. Secondly, I more or less landed on McGill University in Montreal for its academic program and location in not-yet-visited Canada. Shortly before the application due date, I discovered it only accepts exchange students for the fall semester (August/September onwards). All this time I, my own limitations have been a no-tuition exchange position. If it wasn’t a money issue, I could have gone virtually anywhere. Out of desired and possible slots left, Australia and Germany rose to the challenged. I would not have minded improving my German, attended a really good university in Leipzig (2nd option) or Marburg (3rd option), and experienced life in a central European nation. But it takes heaps of effort and to get settled in a new country, and it’s hard to benefit as much from a short-term stay. Eventually the academic program, the like of Australia, the good Christian environment and of course my very good friends in Melbourne made it hard to resist placing University of Melbourne on top of my application.

Technically I have only been admitted by the University of Oslo, but there are microscopic changes that I wont be accepted by the Australian university. Before October 5, I need to submit an International Application for Uni of Melbourne – including a listing of my desired subjects. The semester goes from the very end of February through May + the exam period lasting about a month. My plan is to travel a bit on forehand, hopefully spending a few weeks in Mexico taking some Spanish classes anyway.

I think it’s a reason that I’ll end up in Australia again, as several of the wanted options were blocked outside of my control. My two semesters at La Trobe last school year just wasn’t enough. For now it just feels EXTREMELY GOOD! :)

No comments: