Friday, August 31, 2007

E: Agenda at work

Monday I began my very first full time job, as a journalist for the Christian magazine Agenda 3:16. Read more of me getting the job here.

The week has been full of impressions, with a vast majority on the positive side. The organization, location, tasks, pace, atmosphere and colleagues have treated me very well so far. I enjoy myself and am pretty sure this is certainly a place I think I can settle in well.

Although there are still lots of tuning in to do, and there will always be things to learn as a journalist, I feel competent and skilled for the position. I have ideas and determination, and feel that my thoughts and compositions are taken seriously. With a small editorial staff, one cannot work here without making an impact somehow.

I am a journalist by education (and maybe by nature). An ideal way of describing the job is getting paid for telling others what you have learned through meeting people, talking, doing research, and a bit of thinking. The most important thing in my life is Jesus Christ. To be a missionary is to evangelize, that is to share the Gospel message of his life. These definitions make me a writing missionary in some respects.

The magazine is very clear about their foundation and belief platform – which leaves no doubt for the reader to know where it comes from. I do not believe anyone are able to be fully objective in coverage and opinion. I rather see being square and fair in the reporting as more likely aims. And that is what we do.

Much more to come – as magazines will be published, pictures taken, travels made and revelations encountered.

Feedback and ideas can be sent to sindre.storvoll AT normisjon.no

No comments: