Wednesday, August 15, 2007

E: Pleasant foreign visits

The most important with friends from afar is the friendship. A few positive side effects are inside information from their country and/or language of origin, and a decent local guide and travel/housing tips when around.

But I also enjoy the chance of being a host, being able to show hospitality and Oslo to any newcomers to this country. I actually really enjoy (tour) guiding, and would not mind trying it professionally for a period of time. Whenever there are tourists in the city walking around looking lost with their maps, I feel a need to inquire I can offer any directions and/or tips. Anywho, the two recent visits were Peter Goatz and Yolanda Narvaez.

Peter and I were senior students and varsity volleyball players at Chaparral High School in Las Vegas. I have not seen my friend since I came back to visit Vegas last time in 2003. But it did not feel awkward, but rather cool to once again see an example of that time and distance are not necessarily causing the fracture in a friendship.

The tall American is a couple of years away from completing his law degree. This summer he did a summer course at Oxford, England, and had the chance to travel around a little bit. From Monday to Wednesday of last week, he paid Norway a visit. We did the (for me) normalized sightseeing of the city, took photos, ate, played a little tennis, while chatting for most of the stay.

It has been about the same time since I met my Swedish friend Yolanda last, during a brief Stockholm visit some years back. We met at first during a language course in Bournemouth back in the summer of 1998. As she came to town to visit her brother over last weekend, we managed to spend some hours Saturday night to catch up, walk around and hang out at a café in the city.



These meets were most agreeable, the awkward silence or lack of contact did not appear.

Who’s up next? Any friend who wanna come are most welcome. To host fellow citizens is naturally also something, of which I am in favor.

No comments: