Sunday, April 22, 2007

E: Will you pay to use MSN?

Every so often there chain e-mails circulating of Internet services shutting down, free telephones given or bad luck received – unless you forward the e-mail. Wednesday I thought I had yet another.

I did, but not quite.

The e-mail told me to pass on the message to at least 18 people to avoid shutting my MSN account. The argument was a lack of new user names. This is false. Secondly, there are many ways people can trace your moves on the net, but this system and arrangement is not something MSN would care to or afford to pursue. Nor do I think it is legal.

The e-mail had an URL, which most these ones do, normally not referring to what they state. This one however is authentically referring to a BBC story about that MSN is to charge a user fee.

The reason is lack of revnues and ads income. Thus, MSN will charge up to GBP 60 (USD 120, NOK 716) a year for NEW, improved services like better spam filters. But the story also clearly states:

Microsoft stresses that the site's core facilities including Hotmail will remain free.

Some people say nothing is free. To access the Internet you need computer equipment and a tele-company to provided the connection. But even though there is a growing number of paid services online, I still cannot foresee the day where e-mail and instant messaging cannot be done through free providers.

So do not worry about keeping your Hotmail account, for now anyway. And whatever you do if you do happen to get one of these warning chain e-mails, do NOT forward it to me.

BTW: Salvation will always be free. That I will forward to anyone intersted. And any one interested can forward questions my way.

No comments: