Friday, April 06, 2007

E: 10000 @ mastermind!

Since my master degree commenced in August of 2005, I have been sharing my thoughts, experiences, ideas and pictures on this blog. From relatively early on, I added a counter service to have a look at how many net users who visited my page, and where they were from.

Yesterday at 1:10 PM the number of visitors exceeded 10,000. I celebrate with writing a little entry on it. Unlike many other counters, sitemeter.com only summerizes one hit per computer (possibly per day), rather than keep adding on the number every time the page is refreshed/reloaded. This does not mean that there have been 10,000 different peoeple reading, but rather a reduced number who have kept coming back. That people care to return is far more important to me, than how many there are.

Knowing that, I am content with and have been motivated by a relatively steady flow of an average between 15 and 20 visitors per day. That I find suprisingly many for a personal blog – which does not have any special conflict, unique writing location, known author or a spot for heavy controversies and rough opinions. I believe content and regular updates are keys to have anyone interest, and not so much fancy graphics or superlong stories.

That the there is a low number of page views, the number of different pages a visior enters, is logical. Most of my content is textual, and all the recent stories is gathered on the front page for conenience.

Before I go on to describe some statistics of my visitors, I want to thank you all for caring to come by and check on me online. I started a blog much to avoid people having to receive my constant need of writing in their e-mail inboxes, and rather pursue content when/if they please. There are obviously many I know not using my blog, but there are enough for me to see the point in making my written rambeling public.

Some statistics from Mastermind’s soon to be two year history (data from end of March):

4 out of 5 users share my time zone. Though I know there are some from South Africa, Germany and other parts of the axis, most are definetely Norwegians.

Based on proximity, the greatest amount comes from within 1000 kilometers.

Country-wise, Norway holds 70 percent of the visits, the US 7, Australia 6 and Malaysia, Germany and ”unknown country 3 percent. Europe has 78 percent of the visitors.

As for operating system, 87 percent are Windows users, 12 percent originates from Mac platforms, while linux has only one.

In terms of browsers used, Internet Explorer dominates with 73 percent, followed by Firefox with 23, Safari with 3 and Opera with 1.

Another cool feature, is looking at recent visitors placed on a world map.

No comments: