Friday, December 30, 2005

E: My Christ's mass 2005

Christmas is an important time of year. The historical happening is recognized in most countries and at least noticed in the rest of them. In Western countries the preparations begin earlier for every year that turns to past. Sadly, this is motivated more of materialistic values than family, care and origin. I called the tendency to account about a week ago. If you read it, I have to underline that I really do enjoy Christmas.

The English word Christmas originates from Old English, literary meaning Christ’s mass. I like to think about Christ + the Spanish word “más” which means more. More Christ in a way. I would not like the trade business to commence the Christmas sales in October. But I would like Jesus’ arrival to have a greater focus throughout the year. He is, as the saying goes, the reason for the season.

There is not ONE traditional way of celebrating the season in Norwegian, but there are common traits that apply to many. Read a brief, and almost accurate description of the Christmas celebration here. The alcohol part in the end is not that wide-spread, but alcohol-drinkers around the world highly recognize that aquavit. Read more about Norwegian Christmas foods. We eat "pinnekjøtt" (“stick meat”: salted and dried ribs of mutton), but can have "ribbe" (rib) and "lutefisk" (dried codfish prepared in a potash lye) during the holidays.

Christmas Eve is when we have our main celebration with getting up early watching Childrens’ TV, eating porridge, visit the Cemetery to my grandparents on my Dad’s side, attend the church service at 4 pm, eat dinner, have coffee (or tea for my part) and opening presents. “We” means my parents and siblings, although my aunt, cousin and his son came over for the dinner part. Even though I had everything I needed on forehand, I've found about every gift I got both useful and nice. On Christmas day we chill and recreate and spend some time together. Boxing day we invited the member’s of my mom’s family, living in our township (Dyrøy), for brunch – like most years. Night time on the 26th is time for youth to go out and meet up with all friends. I spend the night till 5 am at the neighbor town, Sjøvegan, where I went to high school. The days after have been spent with family and friends in various combinations. My brother’s coming family-in-law came for dinner a couple of days ago.

My holiday has been a relaxing blast, so to speak. I’ve got to work off an agenda a little bit, practiced quite a bit with volleyball and cross-country skiing, while at the same exercised my eating muscles. I am more fixed with traditions this year than before. One, because I understand more how important it is to do similar things in the primary home base. Second, because it is no certainty that this will continue in the future. My brother is getting married in July – so who knows about next year?

I will post some pictures from my stay back home shortly. For now you can look at last year's images.

No comments: