Friday, September 14, 2007

E: 2 teeth & stuff

Today my mouth became a site for exchange. I had two wisdom teeth removed free of charge, while researcher’s at the uni hospital of Oslo (Ullevål) got test result for my sense of pain after taking an unknown (to me) type of analgesic. Local anesthetics during treatment is a new experience to me, which generated some thought activity while underway.
a) it is odd when your tongue and chin go numb. You can touch your face, but your nerves in the targeted area are temporarily shut off, and pressure towards the head is all you can feel. This dispatches admiration to science and vast gratitude for not having to go through the operation without.
b) it is weird listening to the sound of drilling. It sounds much like renovation in the next room, yet you know it originates from your own teeth.
c) after having laser surgery in Bolivia in the beginning of 2007, I break no sweat for most other forms of operations upon my anatomic self.
d) one day I would like to purchase one of the chairs used by dentists or even better; the one from the blood banks.
e) there is so much detail, creativity and amazingly fine mechanisms and detail in our bodies. When thinking about the growth, usage and strength of the (could have been) white rack in our mouth, I cannot help being impressed.
f) will it be very different to chew now with two teeth less on my right side?
g) will brushing me teeth go faster?

Related: 25 words of wisdom

In other news, the latest issue of Agenda 3:16, the magazine for which I work, came from the printing works today. This is the first in which I have taken part, and it was pleasing to see the final product. Being used to the newspaper press, the quality of the paper and colors is an upgrade worth smiling for – at least for this first issue around.

Tuesday I attended a combined photo exhibition at Stenersensmuseet in Oslo. Sally Mann’s black and white exposures of her own children, was the primary target for my culture companion Signe and I. Many pics were real insightful, some abstract and others again provoking or stunning. A basement street art display also inspired greatly for creative photography. Read about the expos and museum here.

Picture from: www.corcoran.org

I made the volleyball cut. Towards the end, I was no longer in doubt, but it still felt good to have the final confirmation. I thought I would miss out of our opening match, September 29th, as I would be up north the week up till the game, and just miss the return. But now my coach is strongly considering if he wants me to purchase a new ticket to be able to play – although we have an outside hitter surplus.

I play for the first team and coach the third (with my friend Linn Eva). It is good fun being back in the trainer role, but tough when having to let people off. We just made the final draft, and have sent more than 10 players away in total. The remaining 14 have an interesting potential.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some shared experience from one that had four wisdom teeth removed in May.

f) will it be very different to chew now with two teeth less on my right side?
Not really, but for the forthcoming weeks you'll have trouble chewing meat.

g) will brushing me teeth go faster?
Yup, and you will (of course) be less vulnerable to caries and bacteria. An infection in the gingiva may in the worst cases attack the heart.

And a bonus...you feel some grams lighter ;)