Tuesday, March 06, 2007

E: My back in business

This is a follow-up on the ache that has been puffing in my lower back for the last 5-6 weeks. Sunday’s match reassured my that it was time to seek professional help. I made a phone call around 9:30 AM Monday, and a couple of minutes later I had an manual therapist (like a master in physiotherapy) appointment set for 6:30 PM at NIMI (links to a page in Norwegian); Norwegian institute for sportsmedicine.

My therapist is professional. After the hour I already felt a little better, although no magic was performed. The treatment consistent of general consultation, some stretching and bending, a few drills, a bit of massage and my debut with electrocuted needles on trigger points to ease some constraints – which did happen. I was told I have/had overload in activity in the lower back region which had made the inner stabilizing muscles take a break, while the outer ones overcompensated - causing the muscular pain.

I will still play the final tournament this weekend, but have to test my physics on practice tonight, to evaluate how much and what position I should take. After the weekend, I might reduce the amount and frequency of back-pressuring training. Nonetheless, I left the therapy last night with some bandage on my back to remind me of having the right posture (see picture), and the knowledge that I will be all right again if I do my exercises right and consistently.

No comments: