Friday, February 08, 2008

E: Trip is over - not the journey

Back in Oslo after almost three weeks out and about. France (Paris), Mali and Netherlands (Amsterdam/Haag) have all provided memories that will wash off. It is half an hour past midnight and I will be heading for working in the morning. Thus, this is more a confirmation saying I am back home, all safe and sound, and being most grateful for what I have experienced.

”Real” is still the one word I find describing my experience of Mali the best. And ”really good” if I am to use two :). I have met a lot of cool people and cultures. The weather has been hot and dry, but it has been awesome just walking around in sandals for a couple of weeks. Maliens are very friendly and forthcoming, and the Christians very thankful for salvation. Most converted persons (from Islam) have strong testimonies and many live through a tough everyday due to the change of faith.

I worked 13 of the 14 days I was down there. But I sure would not have traded it for some regular working weeks back home. Most conversations and interviewees were most exciting to talk to. However, the busy working days disallowed leisure and taking pictures of my own. Some I have snapped though, and a few will be presented as soon as get my head around the pile of stuff, which has been waiting for me.

Tuesday night I left Mali, and Wednesday morning I excited Schipol airport, after flying via Paris. My friend Arosha lives and works in Haag, and she was a great hostess and buddy for the day spare before returning to Norway. We spent time catching up, cracking up, do some last-minute-shopping (as she flew to Australia this morning) and eating up the great disches she made. Her boyfriend Joey + other friend Thomas came for a fun dinner get-together also. After parting again at Schipol this morning, I stored my luggage in a locker, and walked around Amsterdam city center for a few hours, before cathing my own flight back tonight.

All impressions have not been processed, but there is no doubt in my mind about the this being a big thumps up trip.

No comments: