Friday, May 12, 2006

E: Inside winter

There are so many things rotating in my head these days. Lots have to do with finishing studies. 8000 words due before June 5. Much of the rest deals with my future departure. I have a June 21 ticket out of Melbourne.

But instead I will speak of the current season; the so-called winter. I write so-called because temperature wise it could be a bad summer day in the North of Norway where I am from. It is more windy, more rainy and at times fairly chilly compare to the rest of the Melbourne year, but one can still wear shorts on a good day.

However, thorough house heating is not the biggest hit. As most people are bricks and not utterly isolated, production and keeping of warmth does not come naturally. And if people prefer to study from home, like myself, there are many hours spent inside the home. The days there are only few degrees outside, the heat transfer will eventually get to you and lower the temperature. To put on jumpers and gloves I have done a few times. Then to exit the building without a proper ground temperature makes the surroundings a bit cooler, thus producing a chilling feeling within. My body is constructed in a way that I can jump in ice water and handle minus many degrees without any worries. But being exposed to cold air (or water) for an extended period of time will often cool me down quicker than for others.

The phenomenon described has been recognized by other non-Aussies. I am not suffering though. We do have a working thermostat that has been used in need. Australia is not very cold outside. The houses can be a bit cooler, but the people are warm inside.

No comments: