Monday, January 16, 2006

E: Viva (en) Mexico!

My third day in Mexico is a warm and sunny one like the past two.

I arrived on time in Guadalajara Saturday, I was very close not to make my flight from Mexico city. I arrived on time in San Francisco, after parting with my excellent hosts in Bell with family. But the flight from the US was the delayed over an hour. Landing in Mexico city close to 6:30 pm with my next flight at 7 pm, seemed impossible to make. Nevertheless, I gave it a shot, a lot of sprints, a short-line treatment in customs and made it to my domestic gate to my final destination aroun 6:45 pm! I then had 45 minutes of relaxing flight time to Guadalajara. Sadly, my luggage did not make it as quickly. After I landed, and had been watching an empty luggage belt for quite some time, a service man told me my stuff was still in Mexico City and wouldn't be around until 11 pm the same night - AND that they would bring it to me the same night. My luggage came last night. But with towels and toiletries available, I managed fine.

I stay in the international guest house of CEPE - the part of University of Guadalajar that deals with foreign languages. The room is nice and location very central. CEPE is also where I from today am undertaking two weeks of "superintensive" Spanish course, 12 to 5 pm every weekday. Today was just a couple of placements test and information about the course, city and how to be in Mexico - the only they in which they'll speak in English.

Flavia, a great friend from here who I met in Melbourne, also my main reason for ending up in this very city, has been a great host, guide and caretaker so far. To help my Spanish, she speaks to me in no other language but her mother tongue. It is quite straining at times, but it seems to be working...

What is not working today is my stomach. One of the tips we got today was not to eat spicy food or cookings from the streets the first week in Mexico. I have done both already, as I normally do in most countries (and have never had any problems so far). My only filter has been Flavia's selection. I guess I am not quite ready for all the bacterias just yet, and my body has let me know. But I am not all knocked out and think I will be ok by tomorrow. If not, CEPE offers free doctor sessions if needed.

Internet access is not too easy and time available for updating my blog is not unlimitied. But I will try to share experiences and maybe even pictures (still desiring to share the SF ones), but I have to play by ear.

I like it here, and pray that you do to - whereever you are!

Hasta luego!

No comments: