Tuesday, December 25, 2007

E: Merry Christ’s mass!

We have just entered the most discussed and advertised holiday in the year. Christmas is here. Although my childlike excitement toward the season has lessened over the scope of the last few years, I treasure it greatly as an important tradition and family get-together. This appreciation was strengthened this year due to the airport chaos from Oslo, which kicked up a fuzz regarding my traveling up north.

December 24th, Christmas Eve, is the big day in Norway. Candy, children’s TV, church, dinner, cakes, singing and finally opening presents is our routine. This is similar to the one of others. We had the entire core family present, including sister-in-law, brother-in-law + his mother and sister. My uncle, cousin and his son also came for dinner. It was a happy dozen for dinner.

Commercial interests have in many ways transformed the last week, or month, of the year into a materialistic mess. Yet, the Old English origin of the word is literally Christ’s mass.

I do not oppose the parcel exchange, as long as the aim can be the giving side of things, not the receiving. Serving, giving and sacrificial behavior is Biblical big time. After all, John 15:13 states: ”Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends”. I am personally very found of providing people with gifts of various kind. In recent years, to give when not expected (outside of Christmas, birthdays etc) I find a cooler thing to do. Two challenges with this: A materialistic focus increase and possible wrong interpretations (particularly when (a boy) giving to a girl) c,”). I also have an increased desire for giving gifts that can change the world or make the difference (i.e. financial support to various charity/development work with a symbolic card/present given to the receiver). There is not all that much stuff one needs when having the privilege (or curse?) of living in the wealthiest par of the world. Having said that, I keep being amazed of all the creative solutions and gifts I receive from friends and family every year – this year included. A big thanks to all.

Christmas is also an “excuse” to get in touch, say hallo, send a greeting, meet up etc for both family and friends. This is also the case for me, Christmas normally being one of the two times a year I go home north.

But, like I wrote in the beginning, the holiday is originates from a holy day – the day Jesus was born. What I found chiefly nice this year was that my mother, father, brother and sister-in-law sat up till nearly 3 am talking and praying – drawn together around the person who was born as a fragile, vulnerable human, faced the challenges with opposing the current religion leaders and eventually dying for the sake of mankind.

Enjoy the holiday!

Pictures of various things will be coming.

No comments: