Wednesday, December 20, 2006

E: 1600 times online

If I search for ”Sindre Storvoll” in Google, so-called googling, I get about 1600 hits. That is when searching on my full name with brackets, not just Sindre (909,000 hits) and Storvoll (24,000 hits) by themselves. As far as I know I am the only one on this planet with this name (. No, I do not have any middle names).

The web pages that appear originate from some 50 different domains. I will hereby quickly describe a few of them – responsible for a chunk of hits.

Much has to do with my own composition of text.Blogger.com: Blogger is the host of my webpages Mastermind and the former Dre Down Under. Furthermore, is OSI the club for whose volleyball team I play and write match reports. DinSide is the consumer web page is my main work place for journalistic work and database update. The owner, Aller Internett, is also in charge of ITavisen.no – the computer news website I worked for this summer.

Moreover, Ilimitado ia a support group in connection to some missionaries in Bolivia sent out by the Norwgian Mission Alliances. I know a couple of the missionaries and wrote a bit for the page while in La Paz in January last year, hanging/helping out with the volunteers from Norway at the time.

I have also written for pages like Dyrøyseminaret and Revestreken – the local newspaper for my county Dyrøy.

In other circumstances, I see that articles I have written are quoted of sites I have not heard of before. This I find flattering.

I do not only interview. For a youth page in my region to the sports pages in a Las Vegas news paper, I have given some comments after journalism was digitalized.

I have also played quite a bit of soccer in my life, including many years for my home town Brøstadbotn. I am also registered in the register for people from Dyrøy, my county. My political involvement is poor online, but a visible stand is against the early/materializing of Christmas.

Other reasons for why my name is online is that I have friends with blogs who link to my blog or mention my name. The same happens when I enter various guestbooks, suggestions, comments or competitions comments at personal and commercial pages.

The complete listings are found by doing the search.

The interesting part with this is the discussion about identity, privacy and about impossibility of removing oneself from the Internet. With so many entries online, I do not know if I could just disappear – even if I wanted to. And although Google is a good search engine, maybe the best, there are sites and many a database it does have access to or do not use. A Yahoo-search gives about 900 hits, but have a few that Google does not have - for instance my old blog from Las Vegas (now attacked by ads). Here you also find links to my Melbourne soccer club (Northern Pumas) and various other entries. The Norwegian engines Kvasir and Sesam, "only" came up with 203 and 205.

And there are entries none of the engines will reveal. For instance, Norway is one of the countries with a very extensive availability of names and contact details online, if you do not block yourself. See GuleSider's entry on me.

There are dangers and skepticism in having such world wide access to my information, but for now I thought I would just give it a mention for the sake of updating my blog :)

No comments: