Friday, March 28, 2008

E: Future career options

There is a probable chance that I will leave my journalism position for Agenda 3:16 this summer. The principle reasons I will discuss in a later entry. The big question is where I shall direct my everyday energy from August?

There are many things I would like to do and heaps of activities I could do. I could remain within journalism, but am not sure if that is what I am created to do. I love getting paid for telling others – hopefully in an intriguing manner – about what I learn and experience. But I think I have a personality more into counseling, analytical and motivational work. Maybe. Regardless of the outcome of the process, I wish I am able to lift my head and base my decision on where I would like to be in say 3-5 years rather than by all means getting something to do as soon as possible. I am also very eager to lay these choices in the hands of the Lord. Hopefully it will not be too hard to have my desires and His will concur.

Here are my current alternatives:

Journalism
There are many cool things to do when enlightening, encouraging or inspiring a reading, listening or viewing media audience. This is area is one I know.
* Within storytelling/feature
* Travel
* Working on the editorial desk, doing the layout and visual presentation as I did last summer for Vårt Land

Consultation / management / Human resources / mentoring
This vague list is touching upon an area I am very likely to pursue, but still working on defining exactly what position I would want. I love analyzing, breaking down problems, organizing and systemize. The interpersonal communication is something I feel I handle well on a general basis. Therefore I think working within such a field would make me feel at home.

Investigation
The nature of a journalist or researcher is not too far away from the mind of an investigator. Or so I think. I am not ready or motivated to do a full police academy course, but rumors say it is not needed to pursue an investigation career. This I need to clarify soon.

Teacher
Both my parents are educated to be teachers and the role of contributing to understanding in another human being is a wonderful feeling – something I have experienced through various leadership and coaching positions.

Free lance
This lifestyle could combine traveling, studying, writing, taking pictures, do lectures while pursuing my purpose in working life.

Studying
I am not a stranger to gaining some more university credits.
* Psychology
* Organizational theory
* Leadership
* Pedagogy
* Photography: if I could advance with my photographic skills, working as a photographer would give greater global options.

As long as I stick to my lovely lady (and if wants to remain in Oslo), I do not consider a working place outside of Oslo as very likely.

Feel free to vote on my ideas or add your own suggestions.

No comments: