Thursday, March 12, 2009

E: From homeless to own home?

For nearly two years I have enjoyed the company of sharing an apartment with to great lads from Trønderlag; Asbjørn and Bård. A couple of weeks ago we received a letter of breaking news: We are homeless from June (possibly from July). Some family member of the owner is to leave here in this 100 square meter pearl in central Oslo (Adamstuen), and we are (judicially rightfully) evicted.

It is sad, but true. Scary, but exciting. Reluctantly, but possibly beneficial.

For the time being I do not know where I will reside from this summer forward, but the likeliness of leaving Oslo is small. In the midst of doing research, I consider a few options:
1) Buying an apartment of my own. Owning my own place has been an idea for quite some time, and the Norwegian economy and real estate market is far from its peak. Either Asbjørn and I buy and renovate a large apartment – in addition to lease a third bedroom. Or, I find an apartment with one or two bedrooms, and get another person willing to rent a room to help the costs.
2) Renting somewhere else. I do not envision a campus college or a shared house with heaps of people, but living alone is no need of mine.
3) Tracing really cheap or free accommodation with work/responsibility attached.

My good friend Kjetil is a likely future house mate, regardless of which alternative I end up choosing. I found him to be much amusing company.

Picture taken from www.clipartof.com

No comments: