Sunday, March 19, 2006

E: My moderate prejudice?

One of the few things I could convey hatred towards is racism. I define racism according to a encyclopedia-definition I memorized about eight years ago (freely translated from Norwegian): Racism is a policy or view on humans which rank or divide people after features with which various ethnicities are born.

I happily engage in debates on treatment, interpretations, history and investigations on these topics. My friend Maia recently discovered an online test on prejudice of race and genders. By clicking to different keys, you are to put positive and negative words, and white and black people in different categories.

To my (moderate) surprise, the results revealed that I have a “moderate automatic preference for European American compared to African American”.

If you would like to take the test, please do so before you continue reading.

Of all the test results, 48 pro cent of the test takers displayed a strong automatic preference for White people, but I still am not satisfied with my positioning, and will hereby list a few theories and comments for why I scored the way I did, based on explanation for skewed results of the web page itself.

¤ As the categories and keys swap over halfway through the test, your mind automatically gets makes the first set of images and words be the norm, which makes it confusing when you swap the categories around – regardless of their content. If African American images had been associated with good words from the start, I believe the test results could have been the other way around.
¤ I was interrupted a few times during the test
¤ I did not properly read the instructions always
¤ I was not aware that time was so essential to the results. Also, as ones is aware that this is made to test prejudices, you would hesitate more not to click wrongly on where prejudice results could be generated.
¤ My ethnicity is white Scandinavian (European)
¤ Media make enforce a subconscious picture by rarely covering non-white faces, and if they do often in relation to crime or despair.
¤ The test is only with American faces.
¤ The test results show an automatic preference, not a desired one.

No comments: