Friday, June 06, 2008

E: Summer of ’08

Picture taken from Nothing is permanent except change

Oslo’s spring has been blessed with temperatures for the following season and summerly beems for the last couple of weeks. Summer is near. While my agenda is to be, not do. But where being will take place is close to decided. In short: Weddings, grade school reunion and the Czech Republic.

Week 27: Last week of work. Friday I fly to Bodø to attend my cousin Norvald’s wedding the day after. Sunday June 29th is labour day for my sister-in-law. Silas is set to be born then (in Oslo). I keep heading up north though, driving home to Brøstadbotn (my home town) with my sister.

Week 28: Summer in Brøstadbotn (Dyrøy kommune, Troms fylke/region). Saturday, July 5th, I will take part in the 10-year reunion of my grade school class (year of 1998). Everyone will not be able to make it, and tragically two of our class mates have passed away (RIP), but I believe all wish to be there – and many will come in remembrance of those early year of education, fellowship and friendships.

Week 29: From Tromsø I fly to Bergen Tuesday July 8th to prepare for the honourable task of being the best man in my friend Sathees’ wedding. The Sri-Lankan born buddy will marry his Judina on July 12th. The following day I return to Oslo by train.

Week 30: Finally get to see my nephew Silas. I also plan to work a bit Monday through Thursday. Friday (July 18) I fly to the Czech republic with my best friend, Thor Oskar. None of us has been to the central/eastern European country, and it has been a long time since just the two of us travelled together. This summer he has received an approved leave of absence from his lovely wife Kristin, and us two childhood pals will go explore new land. I also have a friend from Australia, Luke, staying up north in the city of Liberec, which we will hopefully go see.

Week 31: After returning to Oslo July 24th, I am invited down south in Norway for a barbeque on the day after and the wedding ceremony on the Saturday for my friend and a former student college mate in Daniel. I am still undecided about going.

Week 32: Back to work. But I will expand the weekend somewhat with yet another wedding on the island of Senja in the honor of my firend Camilla and her Swedish prince Gustaf. I am happily chosen to be their host (the Swedish equivalent of toastmaster).

No comments: