Tuesday, June 10, 2008

E: A missionary at work

During a prayer session with my two flatmates last week, it struck me that I am a missionary. I am not referring to the general command for all Christian to share their faith:
Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation (Mark 16:15)
Nor did I directly think of the fact that I am on the payroll of a mission organization. But the magazine I work for, Agenda 3:16 (owned by the organization), has a stark purpose, both in its name (referring to John 3:16) and in its mission purpose to enlighten people about religion, and the Christian faith. In other words: offer more people an opportunity to invite the risen Lord Jesus Christ into their life.

This makes me a missionary, compiling my full time job. Additionally I can use my profession, my skills and my interests doing so. I am a journalist and a photographer working with all professional work ethics and journalistic independence intact.

I have not declined the idea of serving abroad one of these years, but for now I work as a missionary – in Oslo. This is not a revolutionary idea, but became a positive reinforcement for the aim and purpose of my presence at my current employer.

No comments: