Sunday, October 29, 2006

E: Finally a DSLR

My very first camera was compact and analog and given me for Christmas when I was 12 or 13. Since I purchased my very first digital camera, Canon Powershot G3, I have stored over 15000 photos on my computer. I have never taken any classes, which I have been wanting to, but have gotten heaps of practice behind the lens. A fair amount have also been published in newspapers and online.

Nevertheless, it is not until this fall (September onwards) I have began to feel slightly like a photographer. The reason is my newest investment, which many of you already know; a digital single lens reflex camera. Those unfamiliar with the term, can read this page, or settle with the thought of those big cameras with big objectives in front used in studios and by the press. If you want to buy one, here is what you need to know (I have not read this particular page myself). Canon EOS 350D was my choice.

Beware that new models pop up not unlike in the computer business, which make give you a notion of an old camera fairly quickly. That happened to me. After waiting for years to get one, two weeks after finally sliding my credit card, the new model EOS 400D came out. This was three years since the previoud version was launched. Since then, the price of mine has dropped significantly. I do my best though, for any aspects in life, not to think of how things could have been/what one could have done etc.

Because my camera is just as good as when I bought it. I quickly noticed the improved possibilities for capturing depth, focus and movement. Yet, there are at least four reasons for why I still would have been able to capture better pictures with my current compact version: the Canon Powershot A80.

* Lack of knowledge: I am still in the process of learning how this all works. It is possible for a high price, but most SLR cameras disables the possibilities of looking at the screen while taking photos. Getting used to the view finder again is a big adjustment. It is still lots of fun though, but I also..
* Lack of time: Days are long and easily fill up.
* Objectives make a world of difference for SLRs. With the standard, simple one that comes with the camera, one’s possibilites are limited. Although the flash is not worse than on the compact camera, is it defiantly not much better. I need an external light flasher.
* The size of the new thing makes it inconvenient (and partly unsafe) to drag it along everywhere. I am not bringing the fine technology up in the open as often.

Do not get me wrong, I love the camera. And as soon as time and money allows, I will buy better lenses and an external flash. Due to transitioning to my new macintosh, there has been a delay in publishing new pictures to show recent happenings in the ongoing world. This will take place shortly.

No comments: