Sunday, September 03, 2006

E: Bike crash insurance compensation

Diligent readers and current acquaintances may have registered my could-have-been-very-fatal bike crash I underwent in Australia May 1st. For me then and now, as I did not encounter any major injuries and only minor scars, the aftermath is what got to me.

The liable party, i.e. the driver’s husband who was not at the scene at all, accused me of insurance fraud and played a very intimidating role while discussing a settlement (or a rebuff of such) for damages on my bike and my broken camera.

Four months later I still have not heard or been given anything from them. And as I did not bother and desired to take the matter to court, I probably never will.

My insurance company in Norway, however, received my broken camera and the paperwork in regards to the case in the end of July. Midway through August they reached a verdict of compensating my loss. They actually gave me more than the (underpriced) amount I claimed from the driver, based on the receipts and camera value.

Even though I haven’t heard from my Aussie solicitor, I told her to keep at the case (even though I got some compensation) for the sake of principle. If they for some reason would change their mind, I will donate the money to charity or alike.

Justice will prevail.

No comments: