Thursday, July 24, 2008

E: Czeching out

The abroad part of my broad range of summer activities has come to an end. From Friday till today (Thursday), the Czech Republic has been ridden by two best friend: Thor-Oskar and I. 10 years since we explored England through STS language course in Bournemouth, we once again left Norway together. The most important part of the journey, was traveling with him.

Most countries in the same region look alike. So do people. Still the differences which are fun revealing. Furthermore, my experience is that after paying a new country a visit, I see memories, life and images when looking at the map – rather than the somewhat dull green, brown and blue areas on the map. The Czech Republic has many cities with a dense concentration of stylish old Middle Age and Baroque buildings. Yet, there are (possibly due to an ignorant lack of background reasearch and history) not all that many must-see-unique-sites or particular famous museums or galliries needing to be paid a visit. I do not drink, but could observe that beer is cheaper than bottled water or soda. There are policemen in certain areas hired to control traffic lights manually in major intersections. School children spend time learning dancing in school. It is a long time since I needed more German than Enlighs to communicate with people (if not in in Germany). And marionette puppets are popular – and its theatre rocks :)

The weather has been wet and somewhat cool, but rather chilly than overheated. This allowed us to walk and cycle about the central European state. Observe a brief synopsis of the stay:
1) Praha (Sightseeing)
2) Kutná Hora (including the Sedlec Ossuary)
3) Liberec (visiting my friend Luke with girlfriend Claudia)
4) Vlachrabi (downhill mountain biking)
5) České Budějovice (walking around)
6) Český Krumlov (pictureqsque pearl)
7) Praha (pool, marionette puppet theatre)

Albeit being loaded with activities. I believe I probably think slightly less on activity-dense excursions. This, I believe is due to the amount of impressions in need of processing – which has to be delayed till later. It is similar to shooting a multiple photo series. You need to stop shooting to view, and even then it takes a little bit of time for the pictures to be accessible on the screen.

What can a week do to one’s life? Fairly little or quite a lot. I do not recall all working weeks the last couple of months, but it I would need a fairly solid knock on my head to wash this voyage out of my memory. We had a great week with new wisdom, thoughts, laughs and experiences.

Tomorrow I am off again for the weekend – this time to visit my friend Kjetil in his natural environment around Vennesla (close to Kristiansand) down south.

No comments: