Monday, July 14, 2008

E: Wedding spree

This summer I was invited to six weddings, four of which I have RSVP-ed ”attending”.

On June 28th, the Saturday after my last day of work before summer holiday, I participated at my cousin’s wedding in Meløy (close to the city of Bodø, North of Norway) as photographer. There is something special about these kinds of festivities, particularly when you are related or close to the husband and/or wife: The sacred ceremony, the wedded excitement, the great food, the fun and thorough entertainment, the stunning scenic surroundings and the joy of observing the positive atmosphere in all of it.

From Tuesday through till today I have hung out in Bergen preparing for yesterday’s big day for Sathees – for whom I was the best man. Accommodated in the spacey house of his family-in-law together with a handful of friends of his (and mine), I have had an intense, but very rewarding week. Most of all because of the appreciation and gratitude shown by the fresh husband. This was my first time in a Catholic church ceremony and a the first time in a Tamil (style) wedding, with all its fascinating inputs. The dancing, food and display of big family community were lovely contributions.

Wednesday was the bachelor party with a trial about his wife-to-be and various tests at a local shopping mall (Lagunen): being a TV-reporter, helping shoppers with their bags and draw portraits. Later we played paintball and thereafter recorded a self-composed song in a music studio. All was conducted while he was dressed in a semi batman outfit. Everything was taped and shown in the wedding. In spite a bit of nerves and hesitation from the groom, he followed through on everything and really enjoyed himself. We all have some good laughs together, rather than us laughing at him.

Another highlight of the week was once hanging out with Sathees friends, many of whom are friends of mine too from the good old high school days. It felt like a small reunion.

Weddings are awesome. I sure gain lots of experience I can apply when I get married myself one of these years :)

2 comments:

Ingvill Humlebrekke said...

La alle bryllupene "dine" i sommer bli lette, lyse sommerskyer i sommervære (t) ditt da ;)

Shan Nalliah / GANDHIYIST said...

Good wedding!good writing