Thursday, June 15, 2006

E: Recent highlights

I am currently in Albury. Darsh and I came to the city, situated over 300 km from Melbourne just across the border to the state of New South Wales, to visit James and Carolyn, whose wedding we attended in the beginning of March. The ride, the city and the reunion have all been wonderful so far.

We will return on Saturday as it will be my final soccer match; a cup game versus one of the best first division teams (we are second division). It will finally be the time to show how good our last wins (8-1, 8-0, 5-0) have been. Another soccer-related happening was the birthday party of Alan, the soccer team’s goalkeeper, who celebrated his first 40 in Williamstown (June 3). He just started playing soccer about a year ago, but does really well. And he is a great guy whom I enjoyed celebrating.

Tuesday Darsh and I went to Sovereign Hill. The 25 hectare living museum is a fascinating tourist attraction 10 minutes from the city of Ballarat (1.5 hours by train from Melbourne) showing the beginning of gold mining history of the area (1851 onwards). Gold melting, digging and museum, candy making, musket firing, horse and carriage, theatre, actors in customs of the era with more. The whole park wash well followed-through and worth the money, but I would primarily recommend it to families or people with special interests in gold. Three-four hours is sufficient.

Two other events took place back on June 4. I have always been fascinated by Stomp – one of the coolest musical entertainers I know of. Their way of generating rhythms and beats on various trash, brooms and other non-typical instruments are amazing. Up till now, I had only seen them on TV, an exert from their show which started downtown New York and became a Broadway show. And what a show it was! I went in a group of ten and had a blast. Cameras were prohibited, but you can find some samples online: Kitchen and basketball.

Later the same Sunday, Jackie, my housemate, had her baptism in St. Judes Anglican church. Jackie shared her testimony and I liked how the whole congregation moved up really close to the bathtub-like place of the watery act of faith.

Pictures for most these goings-on will be available soon.

No comments: